Re: fortran module name mangling

From: Bastien ROUCARIES
Subject: Re: fortran module name mangling
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:59:00 +0200

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Thomas Jahns <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> On Aug 17, 2013, at 13:07 , Frederik Beaujean wrote:
>>
>> I want to call a subroutine in a fortran module in C++ and discovered
>> the AC_FC_FUNC macro. It seems it does not work with fortran modules. So
>> the result it produces is useless. For concreteness, I want to call
>> nestRun from the multinest library defined in fortran as
>>
>> module Nested
>> contains
>>
>>  subroutine nestRun(...)
>>
>> end subroutine nestRun
>> end module Nested
>>
>> On linux with gfortran 4.6 and autoconf 2.68, I try
>>
>> AC_FC_FUNC(nestRun)
>> echo "mangled name:" $nestRun
>>
>> and obtain
>>
>> mangled name: nestrun_
>>
>> but the actual name in the library is __nested_MOD_nestrun
>>
>> Until now, the "recommended" procedure in multinest is to manually check
>> for either of the gnu or intel compiler and enter the mangled routine
>> name by hand. But this is hardly portable, as I just tried it out on the
>> old gfortran 4.2 on a mac, and the mangled name is different from the above.
>

> I'd like to collaborate on this but I only have the following compilers
> available to test for:
>
> - PGI versions from 9.x on
> - Intel versions 10.x and later
> - IBM XL Fortran 12.1.0.x and later
> - NAG 5.1 and later
> - SX but I have no control over the version on the system
>
> (and several versions of gfortran of course), so if one could find others
> with Lahey and other Fortran 90 or more modern compilers, that would be a
> plus.
>
> Regards, Thomas

Hi did you try cfortran ?

It is a header only file what allow to link fortran with C and vice versa.

I use debian package and i maintain upstream.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/cfortran.html

Please report bug here
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=cfortran

And download from here

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=cfortran

I plan to modernize it, so please test it and report any error.

Please test plain old fortran call first not function that are part of module.

Bastien