Re: Autoconf and doxygen outside source directory

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Autoconf and doxygen outside source directory
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:56:52 -0700

On 11/07/2013 06:54 PM, dave wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I need to include doxygen into a autoconf / automake project. Here is my
> problem. The problem is this project uses a fresh build directory
> outside the source. You call the configure outside to set up the files
> and compile. I need to get doxygen to scan the source folder and run
> doxygen and then make the html outputs.
>
> How do I tell doxygen where the source folder is and then get it to work
> on those files and then output to the new source folder?

Autoconf provides several useful variables; which automake then exposes.
 $(abs_builddir) and $(builddir) correspond to the folder where make is
running and where you want your output to go, while $(abs_srcdir) and
$(srcdir) correspond to the source folder.

How would you solve the problem if you were just using straight shell?
Once you have that solution in mind, then rewrite it into your
Makefile.am using the automatic variables mentioned above.