Skip library during configure, include library during compile/link?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Skip library during configure, include library during compile/link?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:26:02 -0500

I need to include a library during compile and link, but omit it
during configure because its breaking one of the configure tests.

Is it possible to include a library for compile and link, but omit it
during configure?

(In the past I could side step this issue by running configure, and
then adding LDLIBS=<...> to the makefile by hand. But this project is
not honoring LDLIBS from the makefile).

Thanks in advance.