Require after functionality?

From: Dale Visser
Subject: Require after functionality?
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:01:41 -0500

I'm rephrasing an earlier question I asked that got no response. I hope I'm
clearer here, and someone can answer.

I have a macro that I would like to guarantee is included and expanded
whenever AC_PROG_CC is expanded. (I.e., I want it to turn it on by default
for all users of the AC_PROG_CC macro.)

However, this other macro invokes AC_COMPILE_IF_ELSE, which ends up doing
an AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_CC]). If I simply add this macro into AC_PROG_CC,
autoconf then understandably refuses to deal with a recursive situation
that has no stop condition.

Is there a way for me to have AC_PROG_CC indirectly require this other
macro *after* AC_PROG_CC itself has been expanded?

Best regards,
Dale Visser

--
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.