Configure.ac script for Acousto

From: π
Subject: Configure.ac script for Acousto
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 01:09:52 +0000

Hello AutoConf community,

I’ve been attempting to get Acousto (the one and only open source
Boundary-Element-Method acoustic simulator:
http://acousto.sourceforge.net/index.php) to build on Mavericks
(http://acousto.sourceforge.net/user_manual/html/UserManualse32.html#x61-87000F.3)

I found that the configure.ac was very difficult to comprehend, and appears to
contain logic errors.

So I've spent the day attempting to rewrite it; I will paste my code below.
However, I am a newcomer to autoconf, and my attempt is certainly not going to
be optimal, definitely going to be buggy, and potentially may be fundamentally
flawed in several places.

Code is here: http://mathpad.wikidot.com/acousto-configure-ac

I would be very grateful if someone in the community with experience would care
to have a look through it and point out any glaring mistakes or better ways of
doing things.

The script specifies:
#-----------------------------------
# Check for supported OS
#-----------------------------------
AC_CANONICAL_HOST
case $host in
    *linux*)
        ;;
    *solaris*)
        ;;
    *darwin*)
        ;;
    *cygwin*)
        ;;
    *)
        AC_MSG_ERROR([$host not supported])
        ;;
esac

So it needs to run on these platforms, which may constrain the language that
can be used.

I hope this post is not inappropriate; the aim here is to bring some robustness
to a valuable and unique open source project.