recommended sequence to add libtool to an existing configure.ac

From: Ed Mansky
Subject: recommended sequence to add libtool to an existing configure.ac
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 08:50:01 -0800

Hi

I am trying to add libtool functionality to an existing configure.ac script so that the package will have the usual enable shared/static options and support for threaded libraries, especially pthread.

I am using autoconf 2.69 and automake 1.14 on OSX Darwin 8.11.0 w/gcc 4.3.3 and GNU make 4.0

The reason I am doing this is because the existing configure script of this package did not find my pthread library in /usr/lib and it currently makes no use of libtool at all.

I have run other configure scripts that did find my pthread library.

I did the following in sequence:

1) Ran autoscan against the directory tree of the package. I added the missing macros to the existing configure.ac script that the autoscan result suggested.

2) Added LT_INIT to configure.ac

3) Ran autoreconf --install

Is this the recommended sequence to add correctly libtool functionality to an existing configure.ac ?

I thought it would be better to add libtool functionality via the correct macros to configure.ac, rather than hack at the configure script directly.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ed
--
E. J. Mansky II