RE: Testing for unknown flags in different compilers

From: Dale Visser
Subject: RE: Testing for unknown flags in different compilers
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 15:51:49 -0500

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Testing for unknown flags in different compilers
> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 12:26:45 -0500
> I agree.  I think it's *important* that warnings should be enabled by default,
> as I noted earlier, but also I agree that making warnings the default
> will *only* be acceptable if developers can easily disable or tweak
> the warning flags for their specific project.
>
> Adding mechanisms to do this, regardless of the compiler in use, would
> be a big step forward.

My work on this has been on hold for the last week, but I am planning to
augment the current mechanism for tweaking the flags with a command-line option
that will be usable to quickly disable the feature without having to edit
configure.ac. E.g.:

> autoreconf -f -i
> ./configure --no-default-warnings

I'm still not sure on the exact naming of the option.

Best regards,
Dale Visser