Re: AC_PROG_INSTALL and AC_PROG_MKDIR_P fallbacks

From: Thomas Jahns
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_INSTALL and AC_PROG_MKDIR_P fallbacks
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 12:56:09 +0200

Hello,

On 08/09/14 09:51, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Thanks, but I don't see how that patch addresses the quoting issues mentioned
> in:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2013-02/msg00013.html
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2013-02/msg00014.html

it doesn't because I wasn't sure how to do that reliably: the stuff automake
does for e.g. autoconf assumes that the contents of the potentially escaped
variable contain a single file path and nothing more. This is unfortunately
untrue for ac_install_sh, which already contains a command with option, spaces
and everything.

The way automake handles this works, because in Makefiles another round of
substition happens. I didn't want to count on that.

Regards, Thomas