Re: Strategy to specify major, minor, and patch versions

Subject: Re: Strategy to specify major, minor, and patch versions
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:05:26 +0100

On 08/27/2014 04:10 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
That took the 'AC_INIT is canonical, derive everything else from it'
approach.

Yeah, that approach is sub-optimal. I was thinking of a way to specify the major/minor/patch version numbers beforehand, and then pass them off to AC_INIT.

I tried doing that with variables but as my autoconf/m4 skills are close to nonexisting, I failed to get anything to work properly.

It should also be possible to do the reverse: declare m4
macros and shell variables up front for major/minor/patch, then generate
AC_INIT by calling those macros rather than open-coding the version.

That would be preferable. Is there any way to pull that off? I've tried with variables, but nothing behaved quite as I expected it to behave. For example, say there these variables are declared in configure.ac prior to calling AC_INIT:

MAJOR_VERSION = 1
MINOR_VERSION = 0
PATCH_VERSION = 0

let's say the intended outcome is to pass the version number to AC_INIT, so that it would be equivalent to:

AC_INIT([foo], [1.0.0])

What arcane magic would be required to get this to work?

Thanks,
Zé