Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:03:09 -0800

David A. Wheeler wrote:

That won't work if SBCL contains single quotes, another common practice.

That's pretty rare in my experience.

Shrug. I do it all the time. I prefer single-quotes, anyway, as they're safer for shell quoting.

I know there was some
discussion about how to handle spaces in GNU make, but I haven't been following
it closely
for a while.

Likewise.  But that's the plan, anyway.

E.G., when installing an application that requires sbcl, the autoconf-generated
"configure.ac" needs to find where sbcl is installed.  On Windows systems
with Cygwin that value will normally be this (note the spaces):
   /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Steel Bank Common Lisp/1.2.6/sbcl

Sure.  So create a symlink to that, e.g.,

  ln -s '/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Steel Bank Common Lisp/1.2.6/sbc' /tmp/xyz

Then configure with the equivalent of SBCL=/tmp/xyz.

Obviously the idea needs some elaboration (e.g., if the file name is needed at runtime) but it would work. All it needs is Somebody to write and test and document the patch.