m4_pattern_forbid

From: Matěj Týč
Subject: m4_pattern_forbid
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 23:36:04 +0100

Hello,
I am doing some m4sugar programming and I found the m4_pattern_forbid insufficient. As we all know, there are many kinds of regular expression in different programs and even on different OSs (grep, vim, Python, linux sed, osx sed, ...). So my question is - where should I look to learn what kind of regular expression I can specify to that macro?

Interestingly, I took a look at the autoconf/m4sugar/m4sugar.m4:2005 to learn the definition and I was surprised by what I have found there:

# m4_pattern_forbid(ERE, [WHY])
# Declare that no token matching the forbidden extended regular
# expression ERE should be seen in the output unless...
m4_define([m4_pattern_forbid], [])

I was unable to find the true macro's definition anywhere, so here is the second question: How (and where) is m4_pattern_forbid defined?