Re: autoconf execution needs root permission

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: autoconf execution needs root permission
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 07:09:37 -0600

On 05/12/2015 12:46 AM, Marslo Jiao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've heard of my colleague said that, if we use autoconf, then it must need
> root permission.
> Is that right?

No, you are mistaken. Autoconf is designed to be usable without
requiring any special permissions.  I'd be interested in more details as
to why you think root access is required, to help squash an incorrect
notion with more facts than just a blanket statement.

There are some configure scripts in the wild that were written where a
particular test will get a correct answer only when configure is run as
root, but such packages are the minority.  But such a configure script
can still be generated in user space without root privileges, and the
test in those configure scripts is a result of whoever wrote that
configure.ac, and not due to autoconf proper.