Re: obscure failures when RAM is low

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: obscure failures when RAM is low
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 11:31:59 -0700

Daniel Pocock wrote:
Can this be handled any better by autotools or is it a g++ problem
exclusively?

No, it's a problem that in principle affects every program. If you don't have enough memory, your programs won't run.

Can the configure script check for sufficient RAM and disk space before
the build?

I'm afraid the short answer is "no". The only way, in general, to find out whether you have enough memory to run a program, is to run the program. I suppose we could add a feature whereby a developer of a package could guess the amount of resources needed to build a package, but in practice such a feature would be so poorly maintained that I expect it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Just get a big-enough machine -- this is software development, after all.