Re: Automatic autoheader invocations for AC_DEFINE changes in m4-files

From: Luke Mewburn
Subject: Re: Automatic autoheader invocations for AC_DEFINE changes in m4-files
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:18:10 +1100

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 10:10:31PM +0200, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
  |  We are in the middle of transition from one config header to model of
  | two config headers. The goal is that the new one will contain only
  | such macros that it can be safely #included by another project
  | (assuming another autotools using project, but it shouldn't really
  | matter)

I think that this is a great idea, and I use a variation
of it in a couple of projects.
I find it problematic when third-party projects ship a "config.h"
in their public include directory, especially when that directory
is directly referenced with -I, or when their renamed config.h variation
provides #defines with the autoconf default definitions.

  |  Template for the full header continues to be generated by autoheader,
  | while the "public" one is using hand-written template. Each macro
  | included to the public header should have same prefix in their name to
  | have them all in the same namespace and not to conflict with similar
  | macros from other projets.

Have you considered implementing your own macro variation of
AH_TEMPLATE() for this? You could then AC_DEFINE the new variables
(at the end of configure.ac) in terms of the values determined
for the base value.  In my humble opinion, this could be a useful
feature for the autoconf archive if not base autoconf.

cheers,
Luke.