Re: Control of .deps folder generation location.

From: Bent Bisballe Nyeng
Subject: Re: Control of .deps folder generation location.
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 16:11:14 +0200

On 09/07/16 15:53, Eric Blake wrote:
On 09/07/2016 02:42 AM, Bent Bisballe Nyeng wrote:
Hi list

I have a project in which I include a few out-of-tree cpp files in one
of my SOURCES directives.

I am currently trying to use the new subdir-objects argument but am
having the problem that autoconf tries to write a .deps folder to the
folder containing the out-of-tree files which is located in a system
folder and therefore not writable to the user.

Is it possible to somehow force autoconf to write this .deps folder in a
location inside the project tree?

Creation of .deps folders is done by automake, not autoconf. You may get
a better answer from the automake lists.

I found out this exact thing moments after I posted to this list ;)

However, having out-of-tree files as part of your project seems fishy;
as I understand it, automake works under the assumption that every cpp
file being compiled is part of the distribution tarball, so that the
build is reproducible (someone unpacking your tarball on their system
would otherwise have to guarantee they have the same out-of-tree cpp
files as you were building with).

Or can I perhaps resolve my issue in another way?
(I would really like avoid having to copy the out-of-tree cpp files to
an in-tree folder before compilation)

But how are you making the tarball work, without those out-of-tree cpp
files?

The user is required to get those sources and then point my code to them using a configure parameter. I know it is not nice to do it this way but because of licensing issues with the third-party code (who allows using their code but not distribution of it) it is the only way I can distribute my code and still have it working.

// Bent