Re: autoconf: AC_SYS_LARGEFILE should output to CPPFLAGS

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: autoconf: AC_SYS_LARGEFILE should output to CPPFLAGS
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:25:49 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> > Interesting, as I recall seeing -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 on various
> > compiler command lines when working under GNU. (I normally work
> > under BSD at home, so I don’t know where exactly.)
>
> Is it possible that those programs were not using a config.h?

Hm right, that could have been possible… although I also vaguely
recall seeing it on short compile lines, so there would have been
very few -DHAVE_* on it (but that’s not impossible either).

> 2000-06-08.  According to NEWS, it was not in 2.13 (which was released
> 1999-05-01), but it was in the very next release, 2.50 (2001-05-21).
> The ChangeLog entry for the addition says "Import AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
> from largefile.m4 serial 12", so that sounds like there was an add-on
> .m4 file with the same functionality floating around prior to that - I

Hm, possible as well then. (I mostly use 2.13 for old software,
2.61 for new software, when building on my BSD. Debian has more
up-to-date autoconf, and only that, nowadays.)

> don't know where to find copies of that file.

Me either. Well, if it’s this obscure… I could almost say this
issue can be closed, especially since we seem to be going for‐
wards with the documentation issue. (It can still be confusing
for people switching from no config.h to using config.h, but
the suggested documentation change addresses this somewhat
explicitly.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
15:41⎜<Lo-lan-do:#fusionforge> Somebody write a testsuite for helloworld :-)