automake

Re: spam hell

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: spam hell
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:20:12 +0100

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:10:25AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
: Hello!
:
: > We've stopped most of the shit from Korea based on simple filtering, but
: > it's impossible (or close to) to stop the spam that currently gets through
: > without closing the list so only subscribers can post or moderating the
: > postings from non-subscribers.  Nobody is interested in the moderator job
: > I guess, nor am I sure you can even set up moderation with the mailman
: > mailing list manager.
:
: It is possible to set up moderation.  Actually, moderation is a wrong
: word.  The only responsibility of the moderator show be preventing spam.

Yes of course, the stopped mails are hoeld in the queue, which I from time
to time go through and check "Discard" on all the spam - it's kind of like
I'm the moderator for the autoconf list, but I do it too seldom to be an
effective one.

If mailman could just send copies of held messages to me (and maybe some
others for vacation overlaps), and the mails I send replies on were posted
to the list while the mails I don't reply to were discarded after a week,
I could be willing to do something like that...

: There are two things mailman cannot do (as far as I know, without patching
: it):
:
: 1) It cannot check the body of the message.
: 2) It cannot discard spam without moderator's approval.
: 3) It cannot combine conditions.

That's one too many - remove one please... ;)

: > BTW, it's driving me nuts too, but I'm out of filtering ideas...
:
: That's what I'm using in my lists:
: