automake

Re: 'make distcheck' fails due to Automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: 'make distcheck' fails due to Automake
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:24:01 -0500 (CDT)

I should mention that changing to the source directory and executing
'automake --force' seems to clear up this problem when it occurs.  It
seems that there must be an ordering problem to maintainer-mode
activities which results in the tarballs not being removed properly.

I have seen the problem three times already while using Automake
1.8.3.  I did not see it with 1.8.2 (which was used for quite a
while), but I did see it several minor releases back (don't remember
which).

Bob

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I am once again experiencing problems with Automake leaving behind the
> distribution files it built so 'make distcheck' fails:
>
> ERROR: files left in build directory after distclean:
> ./GraphicsMagick-1.2.020040419.tar.gz
> ./GraphicsMagick-1.2.020040419.tar.bz2
> ./GraphicsMagick-1.2.020040419.zip
> gmake[1]: *** [distcleancheck] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/home/bfriesen/build/GraphicsMagick-8-static/GraphicsMagick-1.2.020040418/_build'
>
> % automake --version
> automake (GNU automake) 1.8.3
>
> This is under FreeBSD 5.X.
>
> What steps should I take to find the cause of this problem?
>
> Bob
> Bob Friesenhahn
> address@hidden
> http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen