automake

Re: CLEANFILES

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: CLEANFILES
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:11:01 +0200

Hello,

if I may add a small nit:

* Cédric Lucantis wrote on Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 11:03:28AM CEST:

> CLEANFILES = $(wildcard *.tab) $(wildcard *.tab.h) ...
>
> (I think the wildcard command is better than a shell expansion, but I'm
> not sure it makes a difference in that case. See info make for more
> about that)

I would agree with you, from a GNU make perspective, that wildcards are
often cleaner than shell expansions.  However, please note that first,
in general, automake won't understand them -- it merely ignores them
reasonably well --, and second, they are not portable to non-GNU make
implementations.  For the latter reason, I would not use them in the
above case.

Cheers,
Ralf