automake

Re: ifdef ... endif issue

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ifdef ... endif issue
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:16:01 +0200

Hello Daniel,

* Daniel Leidert wrote on Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:37:00AM CEST:

> ifdef...endif is GNU make syntax. I found some old mail now, that tells
> me, that automake doesn't accept that syntax, although it doesn't need
> to process it. The ifdef...endif syntax would be interpreted by GNU
> make. Of course
> my example probably would need to be interpreted by automake too,
> because WIN32_EXTRA_LDFLAGS is set, before it gets extended. But to know
> that, automake would need to understand this syntax.

Well, if automake had a parser that could reliably detect all of GNU
make-specific syntax and skip over that, then it could just as well
interpret it, too, at least those parts that do not still contain
@address@hidden

Just to set expectations straight a bit more, automake isn't even able
to distinguish between rules and other code in all cases (and it's
rather slow already).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf