automake

Cross-compile tar-1.13

From: Steven Woody
Subject: Cross-compile tar-1.13
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 23:10:06 +0800

Hi,

For some reasons I need to cross-compile a tar-1.13, the target is ARM
and the build host is i686-pc-linux-gnu.  The tar-1.13's source come
with a configure, that seems generated from a very old version of
automake.  For recent automake version, I have success experience to
do cross-compiling, that is, specify a '--host=arm-linux' when running
the 'configure' script.  But for the tar-1.13's configure script, I
failed to do it.  I tried the following method:

1,  configure --host=arm-linux
2,  configure --target=arm-linux
3,  configure --host=arm-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

but all failed:  the 'configure' script did not try to find
arm-linux-gcc, it still using gcc as compiler.  So I think, I did not
active the cross-compiling in the script.

Do you know what should I do?  Thanks.

-
woody