automake

Re: Tests fail due to argument list too long

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Tests fail due to argument list too long
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:29:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = 1.11 subdir-objects parallel-tests color-tests
dist-bzip2 dist-lzma foreign

Does that error go away if you remove the parallel-tests option?

I don't know. Little changes like that to make a simple test would likely consume six hours time. The system is remote, rather slow, and I use CVS commit/checkout to communicate changes to it. It is not important that this issue be fixed right away, but it has implications for the future.

You should be able to work around it by splitting tests in pieces,
and running things piecewise only for now; assuming the *_TESTS
variables are all nonempty:

 TESTS = $(WAND_TESTS) $(UTILITIES_TESTS) ...

 check-wand:
       $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) check-TESTS \
               TESTS='$(WAND_TESTS)' TEST_SUITE_LOG=test-suite-wand.log

 check-utilities:

I agree that it's a bit of a kludge (and I haven't tested it yet).

Are you saying that the user would then need to explicitly invoke 'check-wand' or is it possible to create a 'check' dependency so that all of these would be implicitly invoked in turn? It looks like there would be a bunch of mini-test reports and so the user is likely to miss most of the reports since they would have scrolled on by. I only expect the user to see whatever residue is left on his terminal when the tests have completed. There is also the problem that a single failed test early on would prevent all the rest of the test groups from completing and if the error is intentionally ignored, then all errors will be ignored.

It is likely that the number of tests will quadruple over time since currently the tests are the bare minimum (only 785 tests) for my software. I don't mind explicitly splitting internally if there is still a way for the user to do the standard 'make check' and 'make distcheck' (with reliable ultimate failure on test fail) and see a total report for all of the tests at the end.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn