automake

is anyone using threaded automake?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: is anyone using threaded automake?
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 12:45:02 +0100

Since the 1.11 release I have not seen one bug report about
$AUTOMAKE_JOBS aka. automake running several Perl threads to
update several Makefile.in files concurrently, for speed.
If you have more than a couple of Makefile.am files and a SMP
system, then it should help.

Is anyone using it?  Has anyone seen issues with it?

Bugs could manifest in unstable Makefile.in content,
i.e., running it a second time creates a different file,
and/or unstable warning/error output from automake, thus by
definition be hard to detect and hard to debug.  Which is
why I'm asking whether I should assume "it just works" or
"nobody uses it" or "there is not enough use to expose bugs".

Thanks,
Ralf