automake

Re: converting to subdir-objects

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: converting to subdir-objects
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 19:22:37 +0000

Bert Wesarg writes:
> I think we must distinguish between a toplevel-Makefile.am and
> 'sub'-Makefile.am. 'sub' may be a recusive Makefile.am in the same
> 'configure.ac' project, or in a sub-'configure.ac' project. And
> referencing source files outside of a sub-Makefile.am's tree but
> inside a the toplevel-Makefile.am's tree should than also let 'make
> dist' work, shouldn't it?
>
>> Harlan's posting here was due to Automake not working as he expected
>> for files which are not in a subdirectory so maybe it does not work.
>
> Harlan, is your A/Makefile.am a sub-Makefile.am from a
> toplevel-Makefile.am, and thus all source files subordinate from this
> toplevel-Makefile.am?

In this case, I have a top-level Makefile.am, and the place where I'm
seeing the problem is in libntp/Makefile.am, which has traditionally
built libntp.a (a convenience library used by several other programs in
the distribution), and libntp.a is built from a whack of files in
libntp/ and also from a whack of files in lib/isc/*, where lib and
libntp are at the same level of the tree, and there are no Makefile.am
files in lib/ or any of its subdirs.

A truly bored person would grab a recent NTP tarball and just add
"subdir-objects" to the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE line in the top-level
configure.ac (there are several places where we invoke configure.ac in
subdirs) and run either 'autoreconf' or the top-level ./bootstrap
script.

While I'd greatly appreciate any help on this, I don't expect anybody
else to be that ... motivated and I will, of course, keep slogging away
at this.