automake

Re: Which component controls automake.info ?

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Which component controls automake.info ?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:09:35 +0100

Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 7:45 AM, Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Maybe autoreconf is doing it. I need to use it on a lot of older
>>> systems, like CentOS 5 or my PowerMac G5.
>>>
>>> I use the old iron for testing. Most of the software is out of date.

>>> I'm using the latest release tarball. It is
>>> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/automake-1.15.1.tar.gz
>>
>> Indeed the 'autoreconf' step might be the issue.  When building from a
>> release tarball the build/install process should only be "./configure &&
>> make && make install".  See the INSTALL file for more detailed
>> information.
>
> This worked well. It was run after configure.
>
> sed -e 's|^MAKEINFO =*|MAKEINFO = true|g' Makefile > Makefile.fixed
> mv Makefile.fixed Makefile

OK.  Can you confirm that the following commands works on your system
without requiring 'makeinfo'?

   $ wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/automake-1.15.1.tar.gz
   $ tar xzf automake-1.15.1.tar.gz
   $ cd automake-1.15.1
   $ ./configure
   $ make

Otherwise it is a bug.

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37