automake

Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2018
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 16:38:22 +0100

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:

> Google is accepting organization applications for the next Summer of
> Code [1] and as usual GNU is going to apply for it.  Let's start thinking
> about a list of ideas for the next Summer of Code and potential mentors.

Here is another project idea I would like to propose:

    Parse Makefile.am using an Abstract Syntax Tree

   When reading its input files automake doesn't clearly separate the
   parsing, semantic analysis, and code generation phases. This design
   does not help with the separation of concerns and makes the code hard
   to test. The objective of this project is to write a parser for
   Makefile.am files that generates an Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) That can
   be used independently of the Makefile.in files generation process.

   Skills: Understanding of the classical compilation phases. Basic
   knowledge of Perl
   Mentor: Mathieu Lirzin
   Contact: address@hidden
The list of the proposed projects is hosted here:
<https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2018.html#automake>

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37