automake

Re: [GSoC] Proposal for "Parse Makefile.am using an AST"

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Proposal for "Parse Makefile.am using an AST"
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 20:44:43 +0100

Matthias Paulmier <address@hidden> writes:

> Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Matthias Paulmier <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I put up the first draft for my proposal here :
>>> <matthias.paulmier.emi.u-bordeaux.fr/proposal.pdf>.
>>
>> - Regarding the example script deliverable, I think you can precise that
>>   a set of examples that can be manually tested will be provided.  If it
>>   helps you and fit your workflow (for example if you want to do TDD or
>>   similar), you can add some automated unit tests however this is not a
>>   requirement.
>
> That has been added. As for TDD, I'm not an expert on that but some
> tests may be provided during the summer as part of the test suite under
> the t/ directory.

Yes indeed the ‘t/’ directory contains validation tests, and ‘t/pm’
directory contains unit tests.

If you wan't to write unit tests I encourage you to look at the classic
‘Test::More’ framework instead of following what is done in ‘t/pm’ which
is a bit too barebone in my opinion.

For validation tests they should be easy automatable with basic shell
scripts calling the example script and checking the output.

>>> The communication part still needs to be discussed. As for the plan tell me
>>> what
>>> you think.
>>
>> Regarding the communication.  For the weekly status update and
>> discussion, if that's OK with you I would rather have a VOIP one on one
>> conversation (via Ring or Jitsi) when possible and use email as a
>> fallback or complement.  Regarding the instantaneous communication IRC
>> is convenient for me.
>
> Sounds good to me. I put Jitsi in the proposal since it doesn't need
> registration and I don't have a Ring ID ATM. But I don't have a real
> preference.

Great.

> My draft is online on the GSoC website since it was open on Monday. I
> don't know if you have access to that.

Yes I have access to it.  I will send my future comments via this
website.

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37