Re: [avr-chat] Basic Setup for newbie

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Basic Setup for newbie
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 05:48:31 -0600

gecko gecko wrote:

Hi guys,

I Know I risk asking an already asked question as I've only just signed up to this list but here goes. (I've never used an Atmel before either!)

I am trying to get a windows setup for AVR's to run, but I can't find any Basic help. I used to play with PIC's no problem, and AVR studio seemed an easy way to do EVERYTHING with AVR's, the issue is I am a C / C++ programer (in thew loosest sense) and not .asm. Could anyone Please recomend an IDE for programing in C / C++? I'm sure I've seen screen shots of AVR studio being used with C but I couldn't work out how it is done, so this may be most of the knowlage I'm looking for..?

If someone could give the basic "how to use" blocks, recomending which free blocks (compiler, editor, programmer, idealy an IDE etc) to use to get started I can make use of the wealth of knowlage that is out there for people who already use AVR's.

Futher possible less important questions, but maybe not... I read about programmers not supporting certain functions, this seems quite bizaar to me (as an old PIC guy) Is this correct? Why How? surely its just Bit's down a cable into the micro? Are there any Programmers that I should not buy, or is any Ebay listed programmer going to do the job?

Any help is welcome as I'm really struggling to get a setup going, I really can't find this info anywhere and time is becoming a bit of an issue. Once I've got that first LED flashing I'll be a happy man!

Paul
Get WinAVR:
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/winavr>

On the WinAVR web site is a tutorial on how to get it and setup a basic project:
<http://winavr.sourceforge.net/document.html>