Re: [avr-chat] A new AVR architecture

From: Ned Konz
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] A new AVR architecture
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:11:30 -0700

On Saturday 02 July 2005 6:11 pm, Ron wrote:
> I have used AVRs for around eight years as my workhorse processor. As
> long as the application could be served by my task based non-preemptive
> operating system, this was the chip I used. Recently, however, I had a
> couple of projects that, although their specification required a
> prioritised pre-emptive operating system and therefore some hardware
> memory protection, they really didn't need a full-blown 32-bit
> processor.
>
> I am finding that new project specifications are increasingly combining
> complex background processing with a range of prioritised events where
> response times are critical, but where, apart from the requirement for
> preemption, an 8-bit processor would be quite adequate. For those
> readers who have implemented a preemptive operating system (OS) on an
> AVR I agree it is possible but I am philosophically against preemption
> without memory protection, particularly where the customer can
> subsequently add new modules to my design. Stack overflow is simply
> intractable in this hardware.

Of course, it's quite possible to have preemption on the AVR; we do it all the
time. There is already hardware for interrupt prioritization.

If you use a task architecture that does not require (or allow) individual
tasks to preempt each other you don't need:

* stack switching
* mutexes
* stack overflow detection

The problem with most existing preemptive multitaskers is the concept of
long-running tasks that can preempt each other. But that's not the only way
to organize an embedded system.

If you use a run-to-completion model, with events posted to tasks by interrupt
handlers (and also possibly by other tasks), then you never have one task
preempting another, and so avoid most of the problems you're trying to guard
against. You can use one stack, for instance, without the need to swap
registers in and out.

I've been working on a port of Miro Samek's Quantum Framework, Quantum Event
Processor, and Quantum Kernel to AVR/gcc. See http://www.quantum-leaps.com
for a description of these.

These comprise a robust hierarchical state machine framework, high-performance
event queuing (unicast or multicast), and a multitasking kernel with
priorities.

Each time a task is awakened by the receipt of an event, it merely responds to
that event and returns. Very simple.

Take a look at it...
--
Ned Konz