RE: [avr-chat] Newbie fuse selection..attempt 2

From: gecko gecko
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] Newbie fuse selection..attempt 2
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 03:15:01 -0500

Some further answers –

* How do you know it’s dead? - The fuses will not read in AVRstudio, the program on it doesn't run(serial output (what i am trying to fix by using a stable crystal))

* Have you another mcu to test with? - A new MCU works just fine (i've no more to ruin though!)

* What capacitors are you using? 22pf should be fine. - 22pf is what I am using

* Is it a parallel cut crystal? A “series cut” crystal would not work, but these are rarer. - I have no idea, it was just a cheap 16MHz crystal from farnell, i'll look out next time though, and change as soon as I can

* Are you trying this on a breadboard? It should still work but leads need to be kept as short as possible. Try running without any peripherals connected (ie, just connect VCC, GND, the XTAL pins and your programmer – you’ll know the crystal works if you’re able to read the fuses from AVR Studio or program the device – if this solves it then start looking at the rest of your circuit for problems). - It is on a breadboard, with short leads too! but I'll play as you sugest and post if it works!

* If changing the setting worked properly, you can still use a lower value crystal such as an 8MHz, which you can use to test the chip (and your 16mhz crystal, which may be defective). - The 16MHz crystal is new, as this is the first thing I changed on the last attempt where i believe i changed to the CKSEL=1111 SUT=11 fuse only, leaving the rest un altered.

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply!

Any further help  welcome

Cheers

Paul

Its an AtmegaGA8535 16PU 0512A. How does this fair with your speed theory - and how do you know?

Thanks