Re: [avr-chat] Good book for AVR / Embedded Programming beginner ?

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Good book for AVR / Embedded Programming beginner ?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:55:15 +1000

Anton Erasmus wrote:
Hi,

I have been asked by someone to recommend a book to get started in programming
small MCUs. I have recommended he starts with the AVR and not PIC.
Can someone recommend a good book for a beginner to get going with AVR ?
The person has done a course in Visual Basic, but have no real programming experience. A book based on a cheap development board, showing the steps
to get the board going from just toggling an LED would be ideal. I personally
use
C, but maybe this is not the best language for such a person ?

Any suggestions welcomed.

There's some reviews on these sites:

Embedded C Programming and the Atmel AVR (Paperback)
by Richard H. Barnett, Sarah A. Cox, Larry D. O'Cull
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401812066/102-1390345-7037706?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

AVR: An Introductory Course (Paperback)
by John Morton "An AVR is a type of microcontroller, and not just any microcontroller - AVRs are some of the fastest around..." (more)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0750656352/102-1390345-7037706?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

C Programming for Microcontrollers
http://smileymicros.com/

Programming and Customizing the AVR Microcontroller (Paperback)
by Dhananjay Gadre "This book is about the Atmel's AVR RISC microcontroller
series..." (more)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007134666X/102-1390345-7037706?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

AVR RISC Microcontroller Handbook (Paperback)
by Claus Kuhnel "In the following chapters we will use some special terms that are perhaps not so familiar to a beginner..." (more)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0750699639/102-1390345-7037706?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance