Re: [avr-chat] Bootloader - where do I start?

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Bootloader - where do I start?
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:44:16 -0700

Hi Steve,

Whoops. Sending to list this time as well....

I'm looking to put a bootloader in a Mega168 that will talk over rs232 or
ftdi chip to avrstudio.  I see two competing app notes on the atmel site
(avr230, avr231 [aes bootloader/des bootloader]), as well as a 3rd mentioned
in the butterfly documentation (avr109 - self programming).  Which one of
these should I start with?  Modifications I need to make from there -
security is not of the highest concern, compatibility with avrstudio is.
How have people implemented entering the bootloader?  I suspect the best
option is to send a "special" string over the uart, and upon recognition,
jump into the bootloader - has anyone done that? If course, errors in
application code could lock out reporgramming, so perhaps the bootloader
waits one second for commands on every reset before entering the app code?
Anyone 'been there' before?

Personally, I'd start with this one:
(you'll need to join the group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AVRRobotControl/ in order to see the files)

I've used this (with a few mods) on the ATMega32 and ATMega8. You can
find my modified version over here:
http://www.davehylands.com/Misc/AVR-Workshop/Boot-Loader/

I searched for Jason Kyle (the original author) and found this site as well:
http://www.chip45.com/index.pl?page=ATmegaBOOT&lang=en

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada