Re: [avr-chat] Can avrdude-5.3.1 handle stk500v1 and ATtiny15?

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Can avrdude-5.3.1 handle stk500v1 and ATtiny15?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:23:38 +1100

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:11:06AM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> address@hidden (Erik Christiansen) wrote:
>
> > Both avrdude-5.1 and avrdude-5.3.1 seem to think that the ATtiny15
> > has PAGEL and BS2 signals:
>
> There seems to be a logic flaw in that module.  The stk500v1 module
> doesn't support high-voltage programming anyway.  However, as this
> only affects the extended parameters, it should not matter much for
> your ATtiny15.

That's what I had vaguely hoped, until the segfault occurred.

> You could try filling in dummies for that into the config file.

Yes, I tried that experiment already with 5.1, before moving on to
5.3.1. ;-) That removed the warning, so that "avrdude -t" started OK.
However, programming still failed. The crash then occurred due to an
error other than segmentation fault, IIRC. (I can recreate it tonight,
if it's useful.)

> I'm also attaching a temptative fix that reduces the number of
> extended parameters to just the size of EEPROM in case PAGEL and BS2
> are not defined.

I'll try your tentative fix tonight. It sounds very promising.

> > An experimental attempt to program via ISP, anyway:
> >
> > $ avrdude -c stk500v1 -p t15 -e -U flash:w:obj/flash.srec
> >
> > resulted in a segmentation fault.
>
> Can you analyze that?

I looked for a core dump, to hook up to gdb, but either none was
created, or I didn't look hard enough. (They used to just pop up in
cwd.) I'll try again tonight, if I can.

> I don't have a v1 firmware STK500 handy here to reproduce it (and will
> probably also lack an ATtiny15).  It's not supposed to segfault,
> obviously.

> Any chance to upgrade the device to a v2 firmware?

IIRC, that requires an M$ platform, because only winavr can do that?
(I've never used that platform professionally or domestically. Ah, but
all my colleagues have it, so I could try talking nicely to one of them.
I'll then have a quick look for a link to the v2 firmware.)

Grateful thanks for the patch, Jörg.
I'll test drive it tonight.

MfG,
Erik