Re: [avr-chat] Chip running too hot ?! :-/

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Chip running too hot ?! :-/
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:01:55 -0400

"Vincent Trouilliez" wrote:

... my AVR chip, ... it's ... quite warm indeed ... It's an ATmega 32
(DIP package) running at 8 MHz (internal RC osc.) at 5 Volts ...
Anyway, if some could tell me how hot their chip runs, if hot at all,
so I know whether I should worry ! ;-)

I have an ATmega32 DIP right here.  I left it on overnight.  It is not
possible to feel any temperature rise above ambient.

What software is it running?  What hardware is it connected to?
Could there be outputs shorted driving in the opposite direction?
Can you erase the chip and see if that helps?  Can you isolate it
from other circuitry?

Graham.