[avr-chat] AVR Chip running too hot

From: Peter Harrison
Subject: [avr-chat] AVR Chip running too hot
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 19:15:55 +0100

I too have a hot chip.

It is an ATMega128 on an Olimex carrier board. For some time, the programmer (Atmel AVRISP, serial) would say it cannot enter programming mode. After a bit of fiddling, it would give in and program the chip. I assumed a dry joint somewhere as my fiddling seemed to make it work. In retrospect, it was like rolling a dice. Every now and then you would get a six but the result was actually random.

Finally, it would not program it any more. The programmer will program other targets so I took the carrier out of the project and tried it on the bench with a separate power supply. No joy. Noticed now that the processor was hot to the touch and was drawing 125mA !

So, is it cooked for ever? Can the IO go into some partially programmed latch-up state that I might fix if I can only get it programmed?

Just how dangerous is it to connect and disconnect the programmer with the target powered up. I know I shouldn't but...

Pete Harrison