RE: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:43:11 -0600

This is when AVR Studio directly loads the ELF file, like when you build
your project and go directly into debugging. It will load the ELF file,
download the firmware to the target (via JTAG ICE II), and go into debugging
mode. It does this via the ELF file because it contains all the debugging
info (DWARF2).

> > What I would very much like to avoid is having one set of
> offsets for
> > "Xmega", another set of offsets for "Ymega", and a third
> for "Zmega". If we
> > can choose a set of offsets that will *probably* work for
> all AVR families
> > (and ideally for the AVR32 as well, but I'm flexible on
> this point), then I
> > can almost *guarantee* that these offsets will be adopted
> by AVR Studio
> > tools as well. ;-) I'm open to suggestions...
>
> If we teach avrdude about elf files,
> is there any great need to use AVR Studio for programming?

No, but there will always be people who use AVR Studio over command line
tools. Maybe a user wants to program and debug, using AVR Studio. It is
beneficial if all of the tools work the same way.

Eric Weddington