Re: [avr-chat] avrdude fails to write

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude fails to write
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:51:31 +0200 (MET DST)

Pedro Vaz Teixeira <address@hidden> wrote:

> avrdude -p 1200 -c dapa -E reset -U flash:w:avrisp.hex:i

Well, the AT90S1200 is really a problem child... it requires a
different startup procedure than all later AVRs.  Anyway, avrdude is
supposed to handle it, and I've successfully programmed them in the
past.

My first guess is that your programmer/computer is too fast to work
reliably with the target controller.  Try reducing the ISP clock by
inserting delays, e. g. adding -i10 on the command-line.

> I've also tried to read both the fuse bits and the lock bits, but it
> returns the following in both cases:

>      read operation not supported for memory "lock" (fuse)

....which is simply due to the AT90S1200 not supporting these in ISP
mode -- see the datasheet.