Re: [avr-chat] UART: 9600 baud limit

From: Ori Idan
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] UART: 9600 baud limit
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:34:36 +0300

Try to use a crystal at a rate such as 11.0592Mhz these rates give you conventional baud rates with small errors.

--
Ori Idan

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm working with an ATmega32 on an STK500, and also on a breadboard which
is the eventual target. I've been struggling to get UART to work, and now
that I did succeed, I can't get a baud of more than 9600. Now, with the
STK500 and the software clock, I get get 38400 - 115200, but with the
external oscillator plugged into the STK500 board I simply cannot achieve
more than 9600.

Anything more than 9600 results in garbage. Yes, I'm setting my terminal
emulator accordingly.

I *am* using an external oscillator, running at 8.0 Mhz.

I did set the fuse bits accordingly, does anyone have any ideas? I moved
the OSCEL jumper and left the XTAL1 jumper mounted.

I know the external oscillator is working because when I put it on the
breadboard the chip works, but when I remove it from the breadboard the
chip freezes up.

Any ideas? Anyone else ever struggled to achieve more than 9600 baud?

Thanks,

-Paul Lowe
address@hidden