Re: [avr-chat] AVR Dragon Still The Best?

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR Dragon Still The Best?
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:58:58 -0400

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Is the AVR Dragon the best choice
of programmer? Or the STK500?

Is a "programmer" all you want? If so, both the AVR Dragon and the STK500 have a lot of stuff you'll be paying for but won't need. You can pick up an Atmel programmer more cheaply or a perfectly good third-party programmer even cheaper (http://www.avrfreaks.net/wiki/index.php/Documentation:Avr8ProgInterfaces).

The STK500 is also a development system. It has switches, LEDs, a serial port, a data Flash, configurable clock sources, an adjustable power supply and an expansion connector for which you can get a plug-in prototyping board (http://www.ecrostech.com/AtmelAvr/Stk500Exp).

The AVR Dragon is also an on-chip debugging interface. For that reason, plus it's cheaper, I would personally recommend it over the STK500 (I have both). You can turn the AVR Dragon into a sort-of development system with the Dragon Rider (http://www.ecrostech.com/AtmelAvr/DragonRider) or just cable it up to your own target.

Graham. (disclosure, I am www.ecrostech.com)