Re: [avr-chat] This makes me sad

From: John Day
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] This makes me sad
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:22:24 -0400

At 07:40 AM 9/13/2008, David Kelly wrote:
No doubt if Atmel had known how broad their product line would be
today when the original AVR was created they would assign register
addresses differently. Then again I have no doubt many things would
change. Then again just when do you stop designing and redesigning the
darn thing and finally ship product?

Exactly. The first AVRs burst onto the scene in 1996 and things have changed dramatically since then. Form my point of view as an equipment designer Atmel should be praised for having as SMALL a range of parts as they do to cover such a diversity of application and as sane a register layout.

Sure, moving from one device to another can require some effort, often as little as some macros to change register configurations. But on the whole it is far easier than for many other processor families.

As they say, "hindsight has 20/20 vision", if only Atmel knew then what they know now, if only they had technology then that they have now!

John