RE: [avr-chat] ATMega UART question

From: Sid Price
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] ATMega UART question
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:50:11 -0700

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Sid Price <address@hidden> wrote:

I am working on a design using the one UART0 on a mega164p and I am having
an issue with initialization of the UART. I notice that when I enable the TX
a byte of all zeros is transmitted. I even see this if I assert the TX
enable bit with the debugger. Is this normal? Is there a way to avoid it?

>> I recall running into something similar.

>> I don't have data sheets here in front of me to give you specific bit names.
>> In some of the older parts the Tx Empty bit is set by default and the bit
>> is Read Only.  So as soon as you enable the UART IRQ a byte is sent.
>>  On the newer parts the bit is Read/Write so you can manipulate it
>> to prevent this behavior.

>>However I would not go with that solution.  You need to expect
>>that there will be bouges values on your serial line at power up
>>and power down.  This could be completely outside of the control of the CPU,
>>for example the power supply slew rate to your RS232 driver.  There could
>>also be random bytes at anytime due to someone walking by with a Cell Phone
>> or ESD events.

Thank you Bob, I absolutely agree that the communications protocol needs to cope with malformed messages and random data events. My interest in posting this was two-fold, firstly was the behavior of the microcontroller “normal” and secondly if it was not then was it a symptom of some other issue with my design.

It appears that data emitted is well formed and not a noise event, I find that a rather odd “design feature”.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Sid.