Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnost

From: Peter Loron
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnostics Connector?
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 18:13:32 -0800

On Mar 4, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Robert L Cochran wrote:

Is there an AVR that is especially good for reading data from an
automobile's on-board diagnostic (OBD) connector? Is there already
hardware that can do this: a cable for plugging into the OBD port, and a
board which can read the codes coming from the port? By automobile, I
mean an automobile built for the North American market. I assume that
the OBD connector varies in style and pinout from country to country?

I know my auto mechanic has a device weighing 25 kilograms with a long
heavy cable terminated by a fat connector that plugs into my OBD port,
reads the trouble codes, and displays them on a screen. That is pretty
much what I want to do, along with intelligent matching of what the
codes probably mean, but I want the smallest possible form factor.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Many of the new cars worldwide use a CAN bus. Older vehicles used various standards. There are many commercial tools out there to do various levels of interfacing with the car. Many companies sell chips that will interface with one of the CAN standards, but the real magic is in interpreting what you are able to read off the bus.

http://autoenginuity.com/
http://www.scantool.net/

etc...

Just do a search for OBD2 tool...