Re: [avr-chat] Send sms from AVR memory with GSM modem and without any P

From: Bill Gatliff
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Send sms from AVR memory with GSM modem and without any PC
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:03:32 -0500

golestani wrote:
> Hi Dear all !
> I have a BIG problem . I want to send and recive sms from my AVR memory with
> GSM modem and without any PC . I searched in web but people referd me to
> this atmel application note"AVR232:Interfacing GSM modem"(doc8016) . But in
> this article there is a PC , and AVR is only an Interface . I want to send
> it with only AVR .Please help me .
> Regards
> address@hidden

I think you mis-read that application note--- it does mention a PC, but
not until section 3.  And everything they're doing with the PC you can
also do with the AVR.

The general idea behind what you are trying to accomplish is to
establish a serial connection between the GSM modem and the AVR
microcontroller, and then write a program in the AVR that sends AT
commands to tell the GSM modem what to do.  Those commands include
establishing a voice or data connection, send an SMS, and so on.

PCs of course can send AT commands, especially with the help of programs
like Hyperterminal or minicom.   There also exists some code for AVRs
that can generate AT commands, but you'll probably end up writing your
own so that it's more integrated with the rest of your application code.

You might also want to look at the avrfreaks forums, there might be some
code in there as well.

HTH,

b.g.

--