Re: [avr-chat] Cduino project -- new project for C/make arduinoprogrammi

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Cduino project -- new project for C/make arduinoprogramming
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 21:47:38 -0600

Hi Britton,

While I like your idea for this project, I have to point out a few things.

- Writing C for the AVR is not exactly new. There's a lot of projects out there
that do exactly that, and there are a lot of people that have done this. This
is both good and bad. It's good in that you can draw upon a lot of other
people's experience in this area to improve your project. It's bad in that you
might already be re-inventing the wheel in some areas.

- The AVR Freaks website (www.avrfreaks.net) has a Forum on there specifically
for user-written Tutorials. You should take a look at those.

- The WinAVR package already has a sample Makefile that should work for almost
any generic C project. Again, you should take a look at this, as the sample
Makefile is in the Public Domain.

- Your angle on this is C language for the Arduino boards. Looking at it from
this perspective, the Arduino becomes just another generic board with an AVR on
it. Many other people have built generic boards with AVRs on it and sell it.
The one advantage that the Arduino boards have is its current popularity.

I'm saying these things not to discourage you. But with the intent to make you
aware that you're entering into a wider world now, more than just the Arduino
community, and that this is path that has been traveled by many, many other
embedded systems engineers. You don't have to start from scratch. Get in
contact with available similar resources. You can probably join forces with
many other people.

Eric Weddington