Re: [avr-chat] avrdude / debugWire problems..

From: Andy Warner
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude / debugWire problems..
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 09:45:26 -0500

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
[..]
It would be interesting to see whether AVR Studio could make it work
or not, for a comparison.

Darn - I had a feeling this was going to be suggested. Sadly, I'm not set up to capture the USB/packet traffic if it does in fact work.

The only idea I've got is that somehow, the target circuitry encouters
a power cycle after the first invocation of AVRDUDE.  This situation
is typical for users of an AVR Dragon who use the Dragon as the power
supply for their target (upon the first "good-bye", the Dragon
disconnects from the USB, which makes the target power disappear).
I've never heard or seen that for a genuine JTAGICEmkII though.

This is for sure not happening with my setup. Supply is an external bench supply.

However, I think there are patches floating around which are supposed
to make AVRDUDE continue immediately, without the "good-bye" - "hello"
cycle to the ICE.  It would be interesting to see whether this method
remedies your situation, too.

Pointers to the patches gladly welcomed.
I can't see anything that matches this description on savanna, and google is coming up empty too..

Meanwhile, I'll do battle with avr-studio and report back, thanks for the help.
--
Andy