Re: [avr-chat] Remote programming

From: Stuart Longland
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Remote programming
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:12:58 +1000

On 18/02/13 03:25, "Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" wrote:
> Is there any way to realise a remote programming with avrdude?
>
> Use case: our AVR device with a bootloader (emulating a programmer) will
> be connected to an ethernet-to-serial converter

My first thought was Eeek!  Then I saw "bootloader".  With care it might
be acceptable, but just watch out for latency and intermittent networks.

> Or would something like remserial be better?
> http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/

I'd say that'd be your best bet.  Let avrdude do what it does best,
program AVRs, and use another tool to expose the serial interface to
avrdude; remserial.  One tool doing one thing well is the Unix philosophy.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.