Re: [avr-chat] avrdude arduino failed to connect to mega 644

From: Peter Saunderson
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude arduino failed to connect to mega 644
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 19:40:53 +0100

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for the link, I will look into it. I suspect that it will not fix my problem since my problem is caused first by the additional delay cause by any of the Arduino boards rebooting as a result of the USB serial connection opening. A better solution would be to try to sync, wait, try to sync, wait till the Arduino board has finished its reboot.

If I read the patch that you mention correctly the STK500v1 code will only try the sync once and so the Arduino board will miss the sync attempt because it is rebooting. The confusion with various attempts to fix this issue is caused by the number of people who make either hardware or other mods to the Arduino so that it does not reboot when the USB serial connection is opened. I want to use a standard with no mods Arduino board so I put a delay in the Arduino.c code that will then pause the sync attempt till after the Arduino board has rebooted so I dont propose any change to the STK500v1 code.

/* Set DTR and RTS back to high --- this is the bit that I think makes the stock Arduino board reset */
  serial_set_dtr_rts(&pgm->fd, 1);

/* Sleep to allow the Arduino board to reset --- delay by 1 or 2 second or more to allow the Arduino to complete its reset - crude but effective quick fix! */
  usleep(1000*1000);

As I mentioned above a better solution would be to try to sync, wait, try to sync, wait till the Arduino board has finished its reboot but this would require more code churn ...

On filling in the bug report I did try but it did not seem to allow me to create a bug report without signing in.

Peter