[avr-chat] Problem with Avrdude after upgrade

From: Russell Loewe
Subject: [avr-chat] Problem with Avrdude after upgrade
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 17:55:53 -0700

So I have a technical problem that i have been having a hell of a time fixing. I've been using the pocket programmer from sparkfun: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825 . I was using it to program an Atmega328p. I was having no problem at all using avrdude with the pocket programmer.

At the time I was using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. To program I used the command the makefile:

all: main.hex

main.hex: main.elf
avr-objcopy -j .text -j .data -O ihex main.elf main.hex

main.elf: main.c
avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega328 -Wall -Os -o main.elf main.c

prog:
avrdude -F -p m328   -c usbtiny -B 8  -U flash:w:main.hex
fuse:
avrdude -F  -c usbtiny -p m328 -U lfuse:w:0xff:m
avrdude -F  -c usbtiny -p m328 -U hfuse:w:0xde:m
avrdude -F  -c usbtiny -p m328 -U efuse:w:0x05:m
verify:
avrdude  -p m328p -P /dev/ttyACM0 -c arduino  -U flash:v:main.hex

prog and verify all worked just fine. I also was using the Arduino IDE to program my arduino too without trouble. However after upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 I ran into some problems. First, While trying to use the Arduino IDE to program my Arduino Uno I got this error message:

    avrdude: error at /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf:996: programmer type must be written as "id_type"
Looking at the avrdude.conf file in the "/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf" I changed
programmerappriecated
		id    = "stk600";
		desc  = "Atmel STK600";
		type  = stk600;
	;
programmer
		id    = "stk600";
		desc  = "Atmel STK600";
		type  = "stk600";
	;
This fixed the problem with the Arduino IDE and I was able to program my Arduino Uno just fine.

Later I tried to program my stand alone Atmega328p with avrdude and got the same error message but for
/etc/avrdude.conf. I did the same thing but then got this error message:

avrdude -F -p m328 -c usbtiny -B 8 -U flash:w:main.hex avrdude: Error: Invalid -P value: '/dev/parport0' Use -P usb:bus:device This is the exact command that I had previously used to program the exact same chip as before.
This is the point where I am stuck. I haven't found much on google about this. I tried contacting the people at Sparkfun and they said it might be a permission issue, but I always run this command as root. any help would be much appreciated.