Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging of AVR GCC output?

From: Gunnar Henne
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging of AVR GCC output?
Date: Thu Jan 11 09:19:05 2001

Hello Larry,

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Larry Barello wrote:

> You need to have the source and .obj modules in the same directory that they
> were ASSEMBLED in for the AvrObj stuff to work.  It is a limitation of
> Astudio.

I read this, but I didnt know that this applies also to the libraray
source.

> I am glad to hear that the avrobj patch is still around.

It is around, but the youngest Version I found was a half year old.

> Hmm, how hard is it to grab the CVS source, patches, etc. and build on
> Redhat 7.0?

Its not quite easy if you do it the first time. I can give some hints:
Check out the actual CVS Sources according to the instructions on the GNU
pages.
Before you try to apply the avrobj patch, check if you can build
avr-binutils and avr-gcc normally.

Dont try to build avr-gdb, when I tried it configure failed.

I used ./configure --target=avr --prefix=/opt/avrgcc
--exec-prefix=/opt/avrgcc

for binutils and gcc.

First build and install binutils, then set the path to
include .../avrgcc/bin and build gcc

You can expect the compilation of gcc to fail in a late phase, this is
caused by some libraries, which are not really needed. Just make install
should succeed.

When applying the avrobj patch you have to make a link from
src/binutils/bfd to ../bfd and make a symbolic link to binutils named eqal
to the pathname in the avrobj patch.

These are hacking Instructions and worked for me, please correct me, if
something could be done better.

If there is interest I can put my hacked sources and binaries somewhere to
download. You can still use cvs up on my sources, to keep with the actual
development.
Its funny to write and successfully compile C++ code for
AVRs. ;-)

Greetings
Gunnar