Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with AVR-GCC Assembler v2.11 (Duplicate Post

From: Denis Chertykov
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with AVR-GCC Assembler v2.11 (Duplicate Posting)
Date: 18 Jul 2001 22:25:19 +0400

"Bruce D. Lightner" <address@hidden> writes:

> TWIMC:
>
> I seem to have detected a problem with the the AVR-GCC assembler (v2.11),
> taken from the Web page "AVR development tools (binaries+source)" at
> http://www.combio.de/avr/, mainttained by Gunnar Henne <address@hidden>.
> He suggested that I post this problem here in hopes of finding someone who
> knows what the problem is.
>
> In particular, I downloaded and installed the Win32 binaries...
>
>   avr-binutils release 2.11 6.8M
>   avr-gcc release 3.0 3.06M
>   avr-libc-2001.07.01 sources + install programm for every location 124k
>   Useful Unix Tools (make.exe, rm.exe ...) 444k
>
> and discovered that the version of "avr-as" included with that release does
> not seem to be right.
>
> Note that "avr-gcc" seems to work just fine, and it does create correct
> object files when run in the "normal" way.  However, if you run "avr-gcc -S"
> to instead produce an AVR assembly source file, and then try to run the
> assembly source code through "avr-as", you get syntax errors.  This has not
> been may experience in the past.

If you have a look at avr-gcc-3.0 output then you can see

        .file   "file.c"
        .arch avr2
__SREG__ = 0x3f
__SP_H__ = 0x3e
__SP_L__ = 0x3d
__tmp_reg__ = 0
__zero_reg__ = 1
_PC_ = 2
        .text

The __zero_reg__ and the __tmp_reg__ eueal to 0 and 1 (not r0 and r1)
It's because new avr-as can understands numbers as a register names.

So, rename your `yl=r28' to `yl=28'.

Denis.